All About O-Rings for Oil and Gas Applications
2nd Dec 2021
Learn about this simple replacement part that can make or break operating.
An O-ring is a circular gasket with a cross-section. Valves require many different O-rings all of which can be critical to functionality. Typically they’re made with pliable material and used to seal different types of connections. Heshka Oil uses O-rings made from Nitrile, Hydrogenated Nitrile, Viton and other high-end materials for reliable installation and application out in the oilfield.
An O-Ring has many different uses in the oil and gas industry. Some of the most common applications include:
- Sealing a retaining nut in a two-way check valve
- Sealing a piston in the cylinder of a hydraulic gate valve
- Sealing the outside of a bearing cap on a manual gate valve
In a nutshell, O-rings provide the seal that’s needed to keep things flowing.
O-Ring Styles and Materials
O-Rings have many different styles and options. Materials can range from the previously mentioned Nitrile, HNBR and Viton, to many different others.
- Viton would be used in your more extreme environments and can handle temperature from around -25 degrees to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- HNBR would be more suitable for a moderate application in temperatures ranging from around -30 degrees to 330 degrees.
- Nitrile can handle general applications in an environmental temperature of between -40 degrees to 250 degrees.
When looking for O-Rings you also must consider which size to go with. I.D. and O.D. of the O-ring will be important in knowing which route to go when choosing your O-ring. O-Rings range from as small as 0.029 inches to as large as 25 inches in diameter or more.
Easy O-Ring Replacement From Heshka Oil
Heshka Oil is your one stop source for all your valve O-Rings. We carry a large selection for all applications in the oil and gas industry. Whether you need to replace a seal on the piston of your FC or FLS hydraulic gate valve or even get backups for your seat screw in a Type R check valve, we have you covered!
Save Time and Money - Buy Oil and Gas O-Rings Online!
Find out more about the parts you rely on. Check out the Heshka Oil blog for product overviews, news and more.